Thursday, July 28, 2016

Stop Complaining About E-Book Prices!

I haven't rambled about much lately but just couldn't stay silent about this.

Just a little while ago, I got an email from amazon.com with a list of books by authors I frequent. This email was about Ilona Andrews ... The duo behind the Kate Daniels series that I just read again only last week. I noticed that the new book, Magic Binds, is up for pre-order and due out in September (I'll be sweating until it's released). I also noticed that the kindle version is $12.99. I don't think I've ever paid more than $9.99 for an ebook but I am willing to pay whatever price my favorite author throws at me. Why?

+

We pay $13 for a movie ticket. To see a movie one time. And then pay roughly $20 to buy the DVD if we feel so inclined. So ... In essence, you paid $33 to watch a movie an unlimited number of times.

We pay no less than $9.99 for an album download (unless you catch a sale, which you can sometimes with ebooks). The really good ones are over that price and we pay it. Not to mention, sometimes we can stream them for free.

You pay roughly $10-$12 for 2 to eat fast food. A meal you can consume one time that will probably kill you or do harm to your body in the long run.

We pay $5 for coffee. A freaking cup of coffee, guys (which I proudly do)! That's not even food. It's a drink. It's a side-item.

+

... But you complain that $13 is too much to read an ebook an unlimited number of times.

... But your local library will purchase the book you want to read and make it available to you for free.

... But the fast food you ordered was probably wrong and/or tastes terrible but you're stuck with it because you bought it. And guess what? You'll go back to that same place again!

... That $5 cup of coffee? You're going to buy another tomorrow.

All I'm saying is ... It takes a good author quite a while to write one book. Some, it takes a year or more. And you're going to complain about the price?

I'll admit. I've complained. I won't pay $12.99 for ebook by an author I've never read before. But I will pay $2 plus shipping to buy the paperback. But when this is your favorite author with a proven record of creating a virtual masterpiece, just buy the book and shut up cause you know you won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment