Monday, April 11, 2016

Fourth World by Lyssa Chiavari


The Iamos Trilogy, Book 1

A young man, Isaak, finds himself transported into unfamiliar territory and is rescued by Nadine, a young woman with a lot of responsibility in front of her. However, her plans for herself are derailed when she meets Isaak and finds out he may have some answers to how to save her people from dying.

Isaak, Henry, and Tamara are on a field trip, checking out a dig site that the GSAF (basically what NASA and some other Feds evolved into) want plundered. While on the field trip, Isaak sees a rock structure that looks an awful like something he's seen at home. He and his friends get into trouble for going too close and are sentenced to do 6 weeks of digging at an excavation site. Everything seems to be going just fine when they find something else at the dig site, but take it and find that the coin Isaak found fits perfectly into the 'key.' Now Emil, who has a surprising identity, is after the coin and the key while Isaak has to run from the feds. His running leads to his transportation to the Fourth World, Mars,  which he already lives on, however ... He went to Mars in a different time. Nadine is next in line to be one of the few privileged who will basically run Mars, but she has to past a test. Unfortunately she fails at the right time. She meets Isaak, gets nosey and then they find themselves at the mercy of a group of people seeking to liberate Mars' people from the strict rules set upon them. Meanwhile, between the two of them, Nadine sees Isaak as a way to help her save her Mars, and Isaak sees Nadine as a way to help his Mars be better.

The world building in this story is unparalelled. I mean ... I've said recently that their stories had great world building but this one REALLY takes the cake. This book is dystopian/scifi so you have to be detailed but I was just there. The author is a whiz at this. Although I'm not a fan of YA, this book seemed more like a coming of age story in truth. They're in their late teens so while Isaak is just wanting some questions answered, Nadine is about to take on Mars. Plus, their are other amazing things like each citidome's people has a set of traits that were picked by their leaders to represent where they're from. Nadine's people have dark brown skin and white/clear hair, others domes traits may be brown skin and reddish/brown hair. It's interesting to note the level of detail based on the characteristics given. With that said, I wasn't thrilled about the characters physical descriptions. I really felt that was lacking. I think we got enough to form a picture in our heads but I felt like the book cover was so spot on that I pictured those two in my head. The book is very well written, we even get a dictionary because their are so many words that are foreign to us. I enjoyed seeing the odd animals, Isaak's shock at some things and even how Nadine kind of erects this figurative steel wall to protect herself from everyone. And by the time I got to the end, when we see Henry again ... I was ready to scream.

If you want to really get lost in a book, this is the one to do it in. Never mind that it's a YA. I'm so waiting on the next one. It was a bit slow in the beginning for me and I was kind of skimming through. But once I got past part 1, it was uphill from there. I love it and can't wait for book 2!!!


4 1/2 Stars
IR Everywhere

No comments:

Post a Comment