Sunday, March 22, 2015

Omega by SM Reine


War of the Alphas, Book 1

First, let's put this out there. Our heroine is black. Light skinned, but black. This cover makes it difficult to tell what race the heroine is. I requested it on netgalley because it seemed as though she could have been at least biracial. During my reading, there was a point in the book where she referred to herself as looking like a black orphan annie during a pageant. So definitely a black chick. *fist pump*

Now that that's out of the way ...

Deirdre Tombs is a shifter but ... she doesn't know what kind. A huge event called Genesis took place 10 years before. Everyone died. Those who came back, came back as some kind of supernatural. Lots of different kinds of supernaturals were born and then there were the kind like Deirdre who basically can't shift ... Omega. Although, most others who can't shift, know what they are. Deirdre has no clue. On her way home one night, she runs into a moon-sick alpha werewolf who tries to compel her to kill ... Just randomly kill people. She doesn't, because she doesn't have that little switch in her brain that has to obey what an alpha says.

That draws the attention of the alpha who runs everything, Riely Grisham (probably spelling her name wrong). Anyway, Riely needs Deirdre to infiltrate Stark's (the crazy alpha) pack of misfits. She does, with the help of a guy named Gage, who is like a son to Riely. They get hold of Stark, by way of Niamh, who is a Swanmay (swan shifter ... she also cant shift). They get inside the organization and that's where things get really interesting.

Every second you're reading, you're on the edge of your seat. Character development is amazing however descriptions could use a lot of work. I was nearly at the end of the book before I found out that Deirdre was black. Before then, she was described as about 125 pounds and wearing her hair in a ponytail, also not too tall and not too short. Most everyone in the book was described with the same lack of care. Maybe it was a conscious decision on the part of the author so that the book wouldn't be seen as Interracial ... which it is.

I'm thinking I want to contact the author and ask her about that.

I think you'll fall in love with Gage the way I did and the idea of Gage and Deirdre together. Gage is a shifter that basically goes berserk. When he changes into his animal, he loses it and will just kill whoever is standing around. There comes a point where he realizes that he's so sick of it and just wants his life to end. You find yourself really hurting for him and hoping Deirdre can do something for him, that maybe she's special and has some power to calm people down. *sigh* I won't say more about that.

Anyway, outside of that, I thought everything was well written, the action was great and everyone had distinct personalities. I loved the plotting and lack of information given because it really made you pay attention to everything. I'm SO looking forward to the rest of the series to come. I may check out SM Reine's other series' if I can find out how diverse they are.

I will say ... There was a part in the book around 64% where Deirdre had to fight Stark. I found myself almost crying because this man, and the men watching, were taking pride in this man beating up this woman. I don't cry. I'm just not a cryer and I generally don't complain about that kind of thing but it really hurt me. I have to say I didn't like that at all. I would have been okay with her actually being able to get in some swings but this was relentless abuse to teach her a lesson. I want to give this book 5 stars, but I'm actually taking away a full star because of that scene alone. However, it's essential, I think, to Stark's character development, but I would have preferred it didn't happen to the degree it did.



4 Stars (should be 5 but I just can't)
IR: Deirdre (Black)

No comments:

Post a Comment