Monday, November 3, 2014

Broken Soul by Faith Hunter

Jane Yellowrock, Book 8

First, let me say that I'm hyperventilating at the thought that their may be only 1 book left after this. Amazon says that this book is 8 of 9. I'm going to lose my mind until Dark Heir is released next year.

Anyway.

Some shit kind of hit the fan.

I don't use that phrase in a joking way. I mean ... Jane did something that was basically like the Roman Empire falling. Although this empire didn't fall, thanks to Jane, it definitely could have.

This won't be a proper review. When are my Faith Hunter reviews ever proper? My ADD kicks into overdrive when I read her books and I'm just like DOIUBQAGUBGSOAWESOMEAHNPIHG that I can't get them together.

Bruiser. Bruiser. Bruiser. Bruiser makes a come back into Jane's life in a major way. It's so cute and adorable that you will literally smile every scene they're in together. With this major play Bruiser made, Jane still has to deal with her duties. She has to handle the European vampires that are coming for an unwanted visit. Even though we don't get them in this book, all the preparation has taken place in this one. During Jane's training to fight like them, she finds out she can do a cool new trick. The only other person who can tell she's doing this trick is Bruiser because he's an Onorio, and she's going to need his backup.

To make a long story short, Leo "voices" his displeasure for this Jane/Bruiser thing that's happening and Jane retaliates. That retaliation lands them in a heap of trouble when vamp HQ gets attacked by some people who have been trying to take Jane, and Leo, out since the start of this book. Soul makes a return because Jane encounters a creature that may be the same as Soul. Now I gotta say, I have very mixed feelings about her. She's so cryptic and wishy washy that it kind of pisses me off. Does she help? Not much. Enough. Just not much. As for the Broken Soul, it is in reference to Jane and Beast. The realization takes a big weight off of her shoulders.

I feel like Jane's life is finally coming together in this one. She's had such a rocky life, especially dealing with relationships both platonic and romantic. But she realizes that she's put down roots and has created a family with Eli and Alex Younger. Not only that, but she can't figure out when she became a girl. Jane's fighting skills are nothing short of spectacular. I've always felt like Jane just gets it. If you're going to be a badass, go all out and be the badass. I've read so many heroines that get their asses handed to them on a regular basis when others around them keep saying they're badasses. They haven't met Jane yet.

I've purposely left the vamp politics out in this review because that's something you need to read for yourself. I can't accurately summarize any of it but just know, as always, it makes perfect sense. That's another thing I value in this series, everything fits, everything makes sense, and everything is mentioned for a reason. That reason may not be thrown at you in the current book you're reading, but it will bite you in the ass down the line in another book. This is the reason why I read the entire series over again in preparation for this book, and then read this book twice.

Anywho ... Get the book. Get it now if you haven't.

Oh yea. Faith Hunter is creating a new series. So if that's the case, maybe the Jane series is coming to an end and she's getting us ready for something equally as amazing.

Here's to hoping ...

If book 9 is, indeed, the last ... I really hope we put Rick to rest. I want to gouge his eyes out with a hot poker.



5 Stars
IR everywhere

1 comment: