Sunday, August 3, 2014

Discouraging Words

I'm starting to feel completely discouraged.

It seems as though interracial or african american paranormal works don't survive unless theirs a certain amount of sex in the book.

Sex sells. We all know that.

I just want to know ... Why are there no more Jane Yellowrocks or Joanne Walkers or Mercy Thompsons? How are the authors of these amazing series' making it without sex? And why is it that everyone else seems to be ditching an actual story in order to throw a couple of sex scenes in it OR write a story around how they want the relationship to work? What is happening? My frustration is through the roof.

And it's so prevalent, in my opinion, in interracial paranormals. Go through amazon.com and just look at the titles. Some of them are so discouraging to me. Then look at the reviews and they're even more discouraging. As soon as I see a review with HOT or STEAMY in the subject line, I know what's going on here.

I'm so freaking frustrated right now.

I might as well start reading YA.

But I hate YA.

I have no desire to read about high school kids with high school problems.

I keep getting suggestions for Christian novels.

I love me some Jesus but I want to read about vampires ripping necks out instead.

I seriously don't know what to do. I only have 2 authors left that I can really hang on.

And don't get me wrong. I'm not against sex. I'm just against it being the selling point of the book I'm interested in. If it's a selling point, I'm out. I'm tired of buying books and skipping a third of it just so I don't have to read about how big his cock is or how wet her pussy is. I'm sick of it.

So right now I have nothing to read.

All these books on my Kindle and I have nothing to read.

I have my own book ideas that I want to start on but I'm 100% certain it won't sell because their won't be any sex scenes in it or the romance is minimal. Even more discouraging.

Someone said if you haven't yet found the book you want to read, write it. But if I write it, who else is going to read it with me? No one.

3 comments:

  1. I would read it!!! I'm also exasperated by what feels like the de rigeur levels of sex and romance in current urban/paranormal fantasy, and would looooove to read some more books that have more going on than just getting two people into bed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. Since my rant, lol, I've gotten some support. I'm so excited by that because I really thought I was alone in this!

      Delete
  2. I would read it!! I'm working on my own stories, and trust me, the closest thing to sex is a kiss. Period. I don't like sex in my fantasy/urban fantasy/science fiction. Oh, they can have it -- off screen thank you very much.

    So we shall see if anyone likes my stories too, when I finally finish them. I do have a short story that introduces the character that I'm writing now if you're interested. It'll probably be the free giveaway story to hopefully pull readers in.

    ReplyDelete