Friday, April 25, 2014

The Black Parade by Kyoko M.


Jordan Amador is a waitress with the ability to see ghosts. Not only does she see them, but they speak to her and she helps them complete their final wish before crossing over to the afterlife. Gabriel, yes, the highly famous archangel, Gabriel, has given her the task of crossing over 100 souls in 2 years time or she will go to Hell when she dies. Why? She killed someone special. And though it was purely accidental, the death meant a lot to God and she has to atone for the life she took.

Ghosts normally pop in and out of her life but a very special ghost, Michael, showed up and was able to touch things. He called himself a poltergeist. As with all ghosts, when they first 'wake up,' they usually don't know more than their first name and where they woke up so Jordan has to piece things together so it can jog their memory. After a day out, trying to find things out about Michael, Jordan goes home to see Gabriel waiting for her and he immediately knows Michael, this poltergeist, as the archangel Michael and leader of God's army. Immediately, all of Michael's memory comes back.

Now that Michael knows who he is, we find out why he didn't know who he was, why he's a poltergeist and what the heck else is going on. Later, we encounter the demon Belial, who wants the body that the archangel was inhabiting, who also has plans for Jordan and her blood. Belial is persistent and shows up a lot throughout the book along with a partner. Not only is he showing up, but has decent ideas and religious artifacts that are fun to connect with the story. Now of course, a story like this can't happen without Jordan and Michael falling for each other. And yes, it's very complicated because of his status as the archangel. I think the outcome of the relationship was to be expected, but you just know it could never actually work.

I'm not completely sure how I feel about it. The story itself is great. I like Jordan and Michael. This reminds me of something along the lines of LA Banks. And while this is written well, it's not written as well as I felt it should have. The imagery just wasn't there for me. Their was a hellacious fight at the very end that I really wanted to 'see' and not just get a sneak peak of. Had the book been written better, it would have been a new favorite. I still will recommend it.



3 1/2 Stars
IR: Jordan (AA/Sp) Michael (W)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the honest review. I truly appreciate you giving my little book a chance.

    Sincerely,
    Kyoko M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, woman! It's been awhile since I stopped by your blog. Figured to see what's going on over here. I gotta say, I love the cover of this book. Very eye catching. Yessss...your review actually made me think of LA Banks-- I miss her! Her Conquer the Dark series was soooo good yet so short lived :(

    Anyway, great review. I may have to check this one out when I have more time this summer.

    Hope all is well!

    Best Wishes,
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete