Monday, February 3, 2014

Shadow Boxer by Jen Greyson


Alterations, Book 2

The only thing I can say is, "this sh*t is so f*cking good!"

Evy Rivera is back dealing with another alteration. In this one, she needs to befriend the famed genius, Nikola Tesla, so she can get hold of his patents and deliver them to Ilif. But before she can deal with this, she has to save Aurelia, the daughter of Constantine. Saving her sets the Tesla alteration in motion, because without her, it wouldn't work. Now ...

Evy gains the trust of Nikola Tesla while working on her relationship with Constantine and skating around her relationship with her father. It's complicated but not really. Papi gets into a bind that Evy blames herself for and therefore stays away because she thinks he hates her. Meanwhile, Constantine is training her on how to better use her lighting based on color and intensity, all the while trying to find out how they can make a severely long distance relationship work. There's so much action and mind spinning going on from the very beginning. Penya becomes very ... Iffy. I felt it right away that something wasn't quite right because we don't really know Penya or Ilif, but that changes in this book. We find out why Tesla's patents are so important but we don't find out why a certain party wants them so badly. When we thought we knew who the bad guy was, things flip flop, get complicated, and you want book 3 but can't have book 3.

Other things to look out for Tiana, Evy's little sister, who basically is another Rider after only a little training. Tiana becomes a vital part of the small Evy/Constantine/Papi/Tiana team. Her brain power is absolutely amazing and it helps Evy with her Tesla alteration in a big way. I love that Greyson gives me the right amount of mush. It's not overdone or sappy, it just feels so damn good to me. Evy's scenes with Constantine were heartbreaking and heartwarming. Her interactions with her family for some New Years Eve fun was just wonderful. But what really felt good was how her relationship with Tesla grew into something that felt like love. It wasn't in a romantic sense but in a very friendly and respectful sense. It was so sweet and nice. I love that I can feel everything Evy feels, right down to frustration. I love that she's started to really find her center. And I love how the book ended. Crap, crap, crap! I felt like throwing my Kindle into the wall after reading that ending. In a good way, I assure you.

This book is right on par with book 1. I'm so happy Jen reached out and sent it over. In book 3, I'm hoping for more use of Evy's lightning as a weapon and not just for training purposes. *fist pump* Loved this! Thanks again, Jen!



4.5 Stars
Publication Date: Jan 7, 2014

1 comment:

  1. Ohhhhh I love the cover! Definitely catches your eye. I never read book 1, but after seeing this cover, I couldn't help but read your review :) Sounds like a very interesting series. Thanks for the recommendation :)

    Best Wishes,
    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete