Thursday, February 7, 2013

Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea by JL Murray

Niki Slobodian, Book 1


I saw a series of 3 books with really cool titles. I found they were free for Prime members on Amazon.com so I started, of course, with book 1.

Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea follows Niki Slobodian, a nearly destitute Abnormal who stops at a bar, Deep Blue Sea, for a drink. There, she is approached, by Sam, who offers her a job. Niki can see and talk to ghosts. Because of this Abnormal ability, she was placed on a registry that branded her an Abnormal and therefore made regular life very difficult for her. Niki takes the job, gets the partner, and begins tracking down something that was let out of hell called a Dark. After the Dark, there is Abaddon, and that is a whole nother set of problems.

The book is short. Not as short as a novella (in my opinion), but definitely lacking a lot to be called a novel (again, just my opinion) so I should have gotten through this rather quickly ... Only I didn't. It was the equivalent of just over 100 pages but it took me about 5 days to get through. Why? It just wasn't interesting. Well ... It could be. I can absolutely understand why someone would like it ... Love it ... But it was just very corny. From saying things like 'listen, buddy' to 'you go it, sis' almost made me cringe. I don't know ... I just couldn't dig it because of the corniness. The story was good but I couldn't feel it. I didn't know what anyone looked like, for one. For two, Niki's father was supposed to be some badass but I never 'got' that. Her partner, Gage, just seemed like one of those guys who really wants to be friends with everyone all the time ... And her ex boyfriend, Eli, was just very extra ... He didn't really help or hinder anything ... He was just there.

The most interesting characters were Sasha, Niki's father, and Abaddon, the big bad demon they were after. I didn't care about any of the characters except Sasha ... Which is a shame because I wanted to care about Niki. Everyone kind of seemed the same. Copy/Paste with a different name and gender. Aside from that, our heroine didn't do it for me. It's a shame because this was really the type of book I would like but it didn't speak to me.



2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment