Wednesday, November 14, 2012

The Beast In Him by Shelly Laurenston

Pride, Book 2

First. Don't be fooled by the cover. This is Interracial as our heroine is definitely Black.

Wild African Dog shifter, Jessie Ann Ward has come a long way. During her teenage years, a group of shifter Wolves terrorized the poor girl but the big brother, Bobby Ray Smith, of the wolf terrorizing her always seems to come to her defense. Years later they reunite and Jessica tries to push every thought of him out of her mind but fortunately, Bobby isn't taking 'no' as an answer.

This is the first time I've ever heard anything about a wild african dog. I didn't even know they existed. I googled it. They look like a cross between a hyena and a regular dog. So kudos to Laurenston for giving me something new. Anyway ... What I enjoyed most was the dynamic of the dog in the book. We know dogs are wickedly loyal and don't ask for much, very playful and can be emotional ... And Jessie Ann is all of those things. It was just too cute. When she heard something, she would perk up, ears wiggling and sniffing the air ... Adorable!

I don't have very many complaints about this book. I'm not COMPLETELY happy with it but I enjoyed it a lot. Their just seemed to be a lot not there. The world building isn't the best but the characters are very fun. I didn't mind the sex surprisingly so that isn't an issue. I just can't quite put my finger on what it was.

Bobby Ray is exactly the type of man I want. Big, country as hell, and cluelessly sweet at the same time. I have always had a thing for country boys and those Smith boys did it for me. I love that Jessie Ann is a hardcore nerd who wants to help like she wasn't helped when she was younger and I do love that she is just genuine in her excitement for nerdy things, lol.

I just checked the book list for this series ... It's an old series ... But I really hope she re-examines the Johnny/Kristen relationship. Other than that, I didn't find anyone else interesting enough to keep up with other than these two.


3 1/2 Stars
IR: Jessie Ann (AA) Bobby (W)

1 comment: