Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Boyfriend From Hell by Jamie Quaid


Saturns Daughters, Book 1

I'd spent a good amount of time wondering if I should buy this book. $7.99 for the Kindle version. I've paid that before but refused to pay full price for an unfamiliar author and new series. Thankfully, I hounded my local library and got it that way.

Mary Justin Clancy (Tina/Justy) was minding her own business when her boyfriend decided to run her over with her own car in The Zone. The Zone is a place where chemicals have been dumped and it altered the terrain and maybe the people. That part I loved. While Max, the boyfriend, was accelerating towards her, Maxine verbally damned him to hell. When Max dies in a blaze after that car drove into the bank and caught on fire, he began popping up in her mirrors, from hell. Weird gets weirder when we meet a cat with really good instincts, an invisible thief, a chimpanzee and butt loads of 'agents' that are out to get Tina. Not to mention, every time Tina visualizes something, it actually happens.

The fact that something about being a daughter of Saturn didn't mean a whole lot bugged the crap out of me. It kept popping up, it's even the name of the series, but you really don't get much good information about it. Most of the info you get is that a Daughter of Saturn is a dispenser of Justice. I was really hoping that since the book was dragging so much, and it was the beginning of the series, that we would get all those bits of info out of the way so that book 2 could really get moving. Sadly ... It doesn't happen. The reviews on the book were so good that I was super excited to read it but now I'm wondering if we read the same book. Don't get me wrong, it's good and has potential to be great but I feel like I've missed something major.

For one ... Tina is supposed to be well versed in Martial Arts. Yes, she had an issue with her leg not working but I at least thought she could do something. All she could do was swing a tire iron ... Which I can do ... and stomp on some toes ... Which I can do. So the fact that she had all this martial arts training, meant absolutely nothing when it was needed. Also ... What was up with Andre and his hugging and what-not? No closure on that.

The murder mystery was actually quite predictable. We wanted to know who killed Max and did all the other damage. The answer was easy to get but we went 18 ways from Tuesday to be sure. The ending was VERY anticlimactic but the small twist at the end showed promise.

Overall, the book was decent. The characters were cool even though Jane was useless. I'm not sure if I want to continue with the series, though. However, I don't want to deter anyone away from trying it out. Give it a try, you may like it. The setting was my favorite and the band of characters were pretty entertaining but the heroine was just not on the level she should have been. Who knows ... Maybe it will be a slow burn like the Black Suns Daughters series. That one took a while but it ended up being really good.


2 1/2 Stars
IR: Tina is Middle Eastern ... Not quite sure what Max was other than white.

No comments:

Post a Comment