Friday, August 3, 2012

The Departed by Shiloh Walker

FBI Psychics, Book 2
Taylor Jones is an FBI Agent who leads a team of gifted individuals who help him find missing children and/or children in danger. Desiree "Dez" Lincoln can talk to the dead and is therefore a valuable asset to the team. We first see Dez in action, being almost lead by a dead girl to a live one in the house of a killer. It started off cool, but then she gets hurt and things go south.
Why do they go south? Because the hard as hell FBI Agent, Taylor Jones, as fine as he is, turns into a man who seems a little stalkerish over this woman. He's in love with her, she's in love with him, and no one will admit it until a night of passion.
Then I saw the words 'cock' and 'pussy' and I threw my Kindle across the room.
An hour later, I picked it up, skipped that part (even though it wasn't long or full out sex), and trudged along.
I actually hated them as a couple. I didn't feel that sexual tension that the author continued to convey. Sure, their was heat felt when one touched the other, but if that were me, I'd think it was food poisoning and not me being horny.
The cases that Dez picked up after she parted ways with Jones' leadership was actually pretty interesting ... Well ... The MAIN one ... I loved it a lot and that was the reason I continued to read the book. Although the weave wasn't overly complicated, it was still decent. The small arguments that Dez and Taylor had when too much time was spent together was annoying. The arguments reminded me of senior year in high school ... Your prom date dancing with the school whore and you're ready to go TELL him that this isn't the way things are supposed to go. Not the same context as the book but the same feel.
This is book 2 of the series, The Missing being book 1. I read this because of the interracialness. I don't feel like I wasted my time by reading it all, but probably won't give it much thought later.
2 Stars
IR: Dez (AA) Taylor (White)

No comments:

Post a Comment