Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Firewalker by Allyson James


Stormwalker Series, Book 2

This one, titled Firewalker, is a bit misleading. It's not actually Janet with the fire, but her boyfriend Mick.

If you haven't read book one, this review will contain some spoilers from book one.

In book one, we find that Mick is a dragon and in this book, dragons are called Firewalkers. Book 2 focuses on the Beneath magic that Janet is wielding all while trying to keep the dragon council from frying Mick because he chose to allow Janet to live. By far, this book is much better than book one. Have you ever read something or watched something that was so good that you immediately began to curse uncontrollably and then realize that you NEVER say things like that? Yes, that's what happened to me.

1.) Janet finally turned into a badass, albeit was mostly verbal but still, I was pleased with her skills to punk certain individuals. 2.) I was also surprised by Nash. Not only was he freaking useful, but he didn't get on my nerves, I actually was ready to have him in on the action. 3.) Maya was a better person as well. I actually found myself not wanting to strangle her myself. It wasn't that she was useful, just a lot less annoying. 4.) Cassandra is a gem I hope I get to see more of. 5.) I'm sick to death of Coyote. I wonder if Janet can rid the world of this guy? I would applaud her for that. 6.) I thought this story flowed better than the story in book one. Undead Jim proved to be a mystery I wanted to deal with instead of a missing woman. 7.) Spoiler -> I loved Undead Jim coming to Janet's aid everytime she got in some trouble. It almost felt like she was unknowingly building an entourage of 'things' that would keep the 'good guys' from getting her. <- End Spoiler. 8.) The person at the end ... That's when you're going to completely curse like I did. I promise. 9.) The only gripe that I have is that I don't see Janet as Native American. I mean I do BUT I see as the Native American woman that doesn't have that hard Native features, but the softer ones.

Book two was so damn good, I may actually read it again in the future. For now, I will enjoy book three which has already started on a wild ride I'd rather not get off of. If book one turned you off, keep going, book two will pull you in!


4 1/2 Stars
IR: A whole host of Native American characters.
Casting: Janet - Jana Mashonee (perfect!) Mick (Daniel Henney, but a little younger)

No comments:

Post a Comment