Thursday, February 2, 2012

Fire Baptized by Kenya Wright



Habitat, Book 1

Lanore Vesta is a college aged fire mixie (mixed breed supernatural) who stumbles upon a murder. She then becomes overcome with curiosity and begins to investigate on her own.

I've been holding onto this review since I finished the book. But today, I started reading it for a second time and realized I couldn't hold it to myself anymore. The author, Kenya Wright gave me an ARC and I finished it in a day. It was a page turner, the characters are great. Gosh I really don't have a whole lot to say other than it was great and I can't wait for the rest of the series to be written!

1. MeShack is probably my favorite character over all. He's an African/Iranian mix were-cheetah. Lord is he fine. His anger issues are actually dead sexy to me too, lol. 2. Zulu is not to be overlooked either. It seems as though he could be your standard blonde/blue white guy, except he has long blonde dreadlocks and ... well ... his name is Zulu. Plus, the fact that he's crazy fine doesn't hurt either. 3. In the next book, I'm sure we'll see more of Dante, a 250 year old vampire who had mixie 'slaves' working for him that Zulu got released. Sort of. 4. OMG what happened to the merfolk? I wanted to cry. 5. Kenya, could we get some merfolk in the next book please? :-) 6. THe living situation at the end of the book actually tickles me and I can't wait to see how this will work out. 7. I believe theirs a reason why Ray calls Lenora 'Princess' but that's total speculation on my part. 8. I'm really hoping Lanore's powers grow so she can become a total bad ass. Being able to control fire is one of my favorite supernatural abilities. 9. "I turn into a big black guy." HA! I totally laughed. 10. I happen to think those pixies always playing around MeShack are so dang cute. 11. Theirs a piece of me that feels like MeShack got the short end of the stick. Well not necessarily that, but he should have gotten what he wanted.

Overall. I loved it. The men make me happy, Lanore didn't annoy me, but the segregation is unsettling. It's absolutely necessary for the book and won't at all deter you from reading it, but it's so easy to compare it to things in history along with immigration and things of that nature. Nonetheless, I'm really excited for this series. I want to see it all the way through to the end.


4 Stars
IR: Lanore (AA) Zulu (W) MeShack (African/Iranian) Ben (Asian?)
Casting: Zulu - Kellan Lutz (I can completely see him with no shirt and some dreads. Lord ...) Lanore - Tiffany Hines (she's on Nikita) MeShack - Sendhil Ramamurthy (if he were darker, he'd be perfect)

1 comment:

  1. WOW! Awesome Review!!! Thanks so much! lol! You are so freaking crazy girl!!!

    ReplyDelete