Friday, May 27, 2011

In The Beginning by F.D. Davis


A Vampire Series, Book 1

In the beginning, there was a mind f*ck ... No joke. It took me a long time to get into this book. At first I liked it, then I got bored only to like it again and then get sick of it. I finished reading the book earlier today and I'm actually pretty glad I wasn't able to write a review on it then because it would have been probably a 1 star review, but as I had to think of it, I realized how good the book was.

In my first statement, I referenced a mind f*ck that rivals, but doesn't overtake, the series finale of Fringe. Adam Omega is a thousands year old vampire who used to be a human priest. The love of his life, Eyanna, was about to be killed and Adam made a deal with the 'devil' to save her, but that required he turn into a vampire. After saving her, she kills herself because she can't bear to be with a vampire. In modern times, he comes across a woman named Eve, who he believes is the reincarnation of his deceased wife and that's where the sh*t hits the fan.

He'd been playing mind games with her for a while, but once he realized he could no longer keep himself from her, he decided to make his presence known. He begins to stalk her and eventually threaten her, her friends and her family if he does not get what he wants - Her. We come to find out that Eve, like Eyanna, has healing powers and believes she can find a way to heal Adam.

Without telling you what the rest of the book is about, Adam ends up talking his way into Eve's life and her undies in a way that will make you say 'WTF?' To be honest, I thought the dialogue and the actual characters were boring. The only characters that I had any interest in were Eric and Uriel. Aside from that, it was boring, but the story itself was actually really good. Had the dialogue and the characters been better, I would have loved it. I don't really feel like the characters, even Eve, were set in modern times ... Just judging by the way they spoke. I could understand Adam speaking the way he did, but not Eve. You basically couldn't tell one character from another. If you can look past that and really feed into the story, you might enjoy it. However, I don't think I'll be reading book 2. Maybe one day if I have money to burn and am bored, I may order the book, but I don't see that happening.


3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment