Thursday, April 8, 2010

Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass


Shadowchasers, Book 1

I had a hard time getting into this book when I first got it. As I said in a post before, it took me a while to just want to read it. But that night, after I wrote that post, there was action ... And it was glorious. Kira is a 20 something (25-26ish) Shadow Chaser who works for the Gilead Commission ... Basically, the good guys. She happens upon a piece of chocolate thunder, Khefar, whom she reads wrong in the beginning, but makes her tingle by the end.

Kira is like a black version of X-Men's Rogue ... Being that she can't touch people or she zaps their strength from them, maims them or kills them. Which is awesome because I always thought Rogue was the business.

This book uses Egyptian and West African folklore and mythology. Which is a major plus in my book because it seems like no one will touch that ... Probably because a lot of people don't pay attention to African mythology of any kind.

My gripes for the book are, it moved a little slow in the beginning ... But I won't count it against the book TOO MUCH because there was a lot of back story that we needed to know about before we could get to the ass kicking nature of the book. However, it was a bit repetitive, like we didn't remember anything. Another gripe would be that the characters are boring. Kira isn't. She's lovely. Khefar ... Who is 4000 years old is a bit boring but yet surprising. I love the fact that even though he's 4000, he keeps up with the Joneses. Lol.

The most colorful characters for me were Wynne and Zoo ... Wynne more than Zoo, but I love them both.

Am I getting the next book? Yes ... Did it leave off at a cliffhanger? No ... GOOD, I hate cliffhanger endings but Glass ended this book in a great way. Tied up the loose ends and the next book will take us through another adventure, as if it were a tv show.


4 Stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment