Monday, April 26, 2010

Dark Lover by J.R. Ward


Black Dagger Brotherhood, Book 1

First let me say. This was a jammin ass book. I just finished and the only thing I can say is 'fucking good shit.' Pretty vulgar, I know, but it's just that awesome. First, let me go through the good points.

Good Point 1: The Verbage: Everything was 'my brother,' or 'you feel me?' ... The slang was out of here. Group of white vampire warriors jamming to Notorious BIG among other rap music that wasn't named. How cool are they?

Good Point 2: It's a wonderful change to read about vampires who aren't so traditional. They're hip, they're big, they're young(ish), they're strong and they're so fucking fly. I could bed them all (including Z).

Good Point 3: I love all of their personalities and the extra 'powers' that each of them possess uniquely.

Alright, now it's time to go through my gripes for the book.

Gripe 1: Darius is one of the Black Dagger Brothers ... Apparently he's big and very black and killed early on in the book (go figure).

Gripe 2: Darius has a daughter who is plain ass white. That bothered me the entire way through. The book described her skin as 'pale cream' ... When I read that part, I actually put the book down for a day. I had to collect myself, get past it and keep going because the brothers are so sexy.

Gripe 3 & Good Point 4: Wrath turned into a bitch when he fell in love. That angered me because I felt like ... Here's this guy who's so fucking macho, but he gets with a woman and turns into a puppy dog. I mean he's 'i love you leelan, i love you wife, kiss me, never leave me,' and all that b.s but .... when it was time to kick some ass, he whooped that ass! So apparently, being in love didn't make him soft when it counted.

----

Overall ... The swag the brothers have is amazing. They're current and just damn delicious. I wish there would have been more action, though, but there was a lot of story that had to be put into this book. I'm thinking 3 stars but leaning towards 4 ... I don't know ... Well yes I know now. But still, great book. I told myself I wasn't going to get book 2 but I ordered it. I can't help it. What happened with Darius is keeping me going back, plus, I'm anxious to get to the book (I think it's book 3) that features Z, he's my favorite. Recommended? Hell yea ...


3 1/2 Stars
IR: Beth (AA/White mixed but really doesn't count because she doesn't look like it)

No comments:

Post a Comment